Tuesday, April 23, 2024
HomeNEWSwelsh government accused of 'burying bad news'

welsh government accused of 'burying bad news'

A decision on Welsh government funding for the Circuit of Wales racetrack near Ebbw Vale faces yet another delay, with ministers accusing the developers of providing “inaccurate” information.

The Heads of the Valleys Development Company behind the project has asked for a £210m taxpayer-funded guarantee – about half of the £425million cost of the scheme.

The firm said it had responded to every question on a “complex project with thousands of pages of information”.

Plaid Cymru and the Conservatives have accused ministers of trying to “bury bad news” until after the election.

A decision was initially expected in March, but the Welsh Government has now said the process will take “a final few weeks”.

In a written answer, Economy Secretary Ken Skates said officials and external advisers “identified many material gaps and inaccuracies in the information contained within the Circuit of Wales application”.

Final submissions were received in the last week which will allow an analysis of the plans to be completed.

“This further delay has meant the timescale asset in March has slipped,” Skates told the BBC.

“I am advised that the remaining process will take a final few weeks, following which cabinet will consider the project as soon as is practicably possible.”

In February, Mr Skates said the plans would be looked at thoroughly as part of a due diligence process that would take four to six weeks.

Later, he said no decision could be made before mid-May because the company had not provided all the information required.

Disclosure of the latest hold-up came in an answer to Plaid Cymru AM Adam Price, who accused the Welsh Government of “dissembling and delay”.

 

RELATED ARTICLES

Product News

SHARE PRICES AND MARKET ANALYSIS

A snapshot of motorcycle and ATV industry share performance across key manufacturers and major global markets at the trading week closure on Friday 19...