Thursday, June 20, 2024
HomeNEWSSilverstone steps in to stage British MotoGP

Silverstone steps in to stage British MotoGP

Silverstone will host the British MotoGP this year and in 2016 after Donington Park called off holding this year’s 30 August event.

Circuit of Wales signed a five-year deal to stage the race from 2015, but as the venue in Ebbw Vale has yet to be built, Donington agreed to step in for this year.

Donington said Circuit of Wales has not met agreed payment deadlines, but the latter denies the claims.

Silverstone, which hosted MotoGP from 2010 to 2014, will now stage round 10.

The owners of Silverstone had been “extremely disappointed” when their deal was not renewed after significant investment to allow the circuit to host MotoGP.

But on Wednesday, the Northamptonshire venue released a statement staying it had negotiated with Circuit of Wales to host the race for two years while the Welsh venue was built.

“I welcomed the opportunity to meet with both [governing body] Dorna and Circuit of Wales recently so that we could try and find a way to keep MotoGP in the UK and racing at Silverstone,” said managing director of Silverstone Patrick Allen.

On Tuesday, Donington Park claimed the Circuit of Wales had been unable to complete funding arrangements which had delayed operational plans to host the race, making it too much of a risk.

Circuit of Wales said it had the funding in place but was unwilling to provide it “without a signed contractual agreement”.

Once built, the £315m Circuit of Wales is intended to be a purpose-built hub for the multi-billion pound British motorsport industry around a state-of-the art track.

A public inquiry into use of common land will begin next month.

The MotoGP season starts on 29 March in Qatar.

 

RELATED ARTICLES

Product News

Reaction: The man in the white suit

I started in this stimulating industry as a sales representative for Greeves Motorcycles in January 1964; then after 30 plus years at the coalface,...